Serving all of
Orange County

Tax Deadlines Extended to October 16 for California Residents

Good News! If you live in California, due to the storms and flooding we experienced this winter, the tax deadlines have been automatically extended to October 16, 2023.

This applies to:

  • Filing your 2022 Federal and California personal tax returns
  • Paying your 2022 Federal and California taxes with no penalty!
  • Business tax returns and payments, including LLCs, Partnerships, Trusts, Nonprofits, and Corporations
  • First, second, and third quarter estimated tax payments are not due until October 16 (fourth quarter estimated taxes are still due January 15, 2024)
  • Contributions to IRAs and HSAs for 2022 can be made any time before October 16

You do not need to file an extension for any of the above.

NOTE: The automatic extension applies to taxpayers living in every California county except Lassen and Shasta. If you live in one of these counties, your tax returns are still due on April 18 and you must file an extension to avoid late filing penalties if you file after this date. Taxpayers living in Modoc county have until August 15 to file and pay without penalty.

ALSO: This extension applies only to Federal and California returns. If you live in California but file a tax return in another state, you may have to get an extension for that state if you want to file after April 18. Check with your tax preparer if you are not sure!

The official notice of the Federal disaster extension to October 16 may be found here.

The official notice of the California disaster extension to October 16 may be found here.

Residents of other states may also have disaster extensions. A complete list may be found here.

Get Ready for Your 2022 Taxes

Be sure to have the following items ready for preparing your 2022 tax returns:

New Clients

  • Please have a copy of your 2021 tax returns (or the last year you filed)

Income Documents

  • W-2 form(s) from your employer(s)
  • 1099-G form if you received unemployment benefits in 2022
  • 1099-SSA if you received Social Security in 2022
  • 1099-R if you received retirement or pension payments
  • 1099-K if you received payments from PayPal, Venmo, Square, etc.
  • Any other 1099s you received for interest, investment income, etc.
  • Income & expenses from self-employment or rental properties


  • Be sure to notify your tax preparer of any changes in your family (marriage, divorce, new children, etc.) during 2022
  • 1098 Form(s) received for Mortgage Interest paid in 2022
  • The amount you paid for Property Taxes in 2022. Note: If you paid in two installments, this will usually be Installment 2 of your 2021-22 tax bill, and Installment 1 of your 2022-23 tax bill.
  • Charitable contributions you made in 2022
  • Auto Registration renewal statement(s) received from the DMV in 2022

Health Care

  • Although there is no longer a Federal mandate for health insurance, California still requires everyone on your tax return (including your spouse and dependents) to have health coverage or you may have to pay a fine.
  • If you receive health coverage through your employer, please provide Form 1095-B to your tax preparer. Your employer should have given you this form.
  • If you obtained health coverage from Covered California, please provide Form 1095-A to your tax preparer. Covered California mailed you this form in January. If you have not received it, please click here for instructions.

Identity Protection PIN

  • If you have experienced identity theft, the IRS may issue you an Identity Protection PIN. You will receive a new IP PIN each year. The IRS will send you a letter in the mail in January with your IP PIN. This is required to file your tax returns. If you received an IP PIN in the mail, please provide it to your tax preparer.
  • If you did not receive your IP PIN or you lost it, click here to retrieve it or have a new one issued to you by the IRS.